You will need:
- A Gaia mask for each participant. A simple plain green Colombina will do or a more complicated mask featuring landscape elements such as mountains, rivers, and forests, or anything in between.
- A bowl of dry potpouri, flower petals or small dried leaves
- A large bowl of water
- A maple key or other large floating seed for each participant
- An ice cube for each participant
- A set of 9 stones
- a candle
- a bell or signing bowl
- a candle snuff
Leader: Who would like to share?
The participants briefly update each other on how they're doing and what's going on in their lives.
Repartum is the seventh Liturgical Season in the SolSeed Movement's Liturgical Calendar. It symbolizes human care for the life from Earth. It runs from the Fall Equinox to Mid Fall. During this season the Weekly Service Calls use the following opening ceremony:
- We gather to mark the passing of a week
- To align our hearts as one.
(Light the Sol candle)
- A Hurting World ... everywhere ... Pain and Loss …
- But is it ... <gasp> ... the pain of rebirth?
<Baby cradling motion>
- Farming. Religion. Science. Freedom.
- A civilization aching with conflict, yet bursting with potential.
- Will we learn to tell a new story?
- A New Story where we are parts of Gaia.
- A New Story where we contribute to her flourishing!
<make book-opening motion>
- This story is about letting go
- Abandoning the delusion that we are separate from Nature
- Abandoning our attachment to our existing civilization
- Sparking a new story into being
- A New Story where a reborn civilization flourishes
- in alliance with the rest of Gaia
<hold up a Gaia mask in front of our faces>
- Next we learn to preserve and regenerate
- Both keeping wild places wild
- And wilding degraded places to bloom with life again
- Speeding Gaia's recovery from the losses we have inflicted
<Pour grass, potpourri flower petals, and maybe some small leaves onto the Gaia statue> (the more diversity the better as Gaia is healed by regeneration of diversity)
- Then we learn to empower Gaia
- Contributing greater ability to our Goddess
- To thrive in greater profusion
- To thrive in new places on the Earth
- Contributing greater ability to our Goddess
<float an ice cube and a maple seed or pine seed on water in a bowl>
- Finally, we learn to spread life beyond Earth
- Making millions of barren worlds freely available
- To grow new biospheres, Gaia's children
<shower mixture onto a stone the first sabbath of the season and then an additional stone each subsequent sabbath>
- A New Story of Life; Life regenerating, Life empowering, Life spreading and flowering.
- From a hurting world … Rebirth!
You are walking across a vast blue-white frozen landscape. Strange stars form unfamiliar constellations in the sky above you. You are warm because you are clad in a space suit. A wind blows and fine particles of ice strike your visor but they sound like sand. A gauge projected onto the inside of your visor tells you that the atmosphere outside is too thin to breath and so cold it would burn your lungs.
Ahead you see Gaia climbing out of a crevice in the ice. You know it is Gaia because of her colouring, the Blue-Green of Life Thriving. If she were a normal human she would die instantly. Even she, looks cold and uncomfortable in this barren landscape. She gasps at the cold thin air trying to get enough. Her lips are cracked. You can see that she is thirsty.
You open the purge valve on your suit's water tank and a jet of water emerges. You catch the water in a sample bag but it freezes instantly. You pass the water to Gaia and she tries to bite it but one of her teeth breaks, it is frozen too hard even for her.
You walk with her a while and come to a place where there is ice that appears to have gone from liquid water to solid ice so quickly that ripples on the surface of the water were frozen into place. It looks so much like the water is still liquid that it confounds the eye.
One of the fish tattoos on Gaia's leg, separates itself from her becoming a complete fish. Like Gaia, it is marked with the blue-green of Life thriving. It dives into the pond but bounces off the ice incapable of submerging. Its fish-shaped body is only capable of surviving outside water for a short time.
Gaia, reaches down and picks the fish back up and places it against her leg. It reverts to a tattoo on her skin and swims back and forth on the surface of her leg before settling down in a comfortable spot.
You continue walking with Gaia a while and come to a place where the impure ice has frozen into a forest of green crystals. They look almost like trees. In the wind they are making a haunting music, a combination of whistles and chimes. The music is punctuated by branches breaking and falling to the hard frozen ground with sounds like breaking glass.
A tattoo of a tree on Gaia's arm, floats off of her arm and down to the hard ground to join the forest. Its roots grow and spread across the ice but it is unable to penetrate the ice. It is slowly drying up.
Gaia turns to you and looks at you with a deep penetrating stare, "Are you alive as I am alive?" she asks.
"I am alive as you are alive." you reply.
Gaia looks deeper into your eyes, "Are you in kinship with this being who once called Terra home?"
You reply, "I am Gaia, I am the body of all Life." You see your own face reflected in your visor and you see that it is marked with the blue-green of Life thriving.
Gaia reaches down and opens the side of the tree and you see inside the opening its DNA magnified so that you can see the individual codons and can easily read them. Your suit's AI projects a translation of the codons onto your visor so that you can see the implications of each codon as changes in the form and function of the tree. You glance down at the projector in your helmet's cheek and see that this external manifestation of your suit's AI is marked with the blue-green of Life thriving.
You see the form of the tree that could survive in this barren landscape and you reach down and put your glove in the tree's DNA and make a few changes. You close the side of the tree and glance at Gaia. She is smiling and nodding.
You look back down at the tree and see that the tree has grown a transparent shell around itself. Its roots have penetrated the ice. It grows rapidly upward, taller than you, taller than Gaia, blocking out most of the stars. Seeds rain down and the landscape is transformed. To the music of the ice crystals is added the rustle of leaves. You are now standing in a massive forest of trees each enclosed in its own transparent shell.
You approach the first one and see that its shell has a pair of huge lips in the side. You squeeze through these lips and find yourself on the inside of the shell. Gaia has followed you through. She laughs and you know that the air is thicker, for you can hear her laugh clearly. You glance at the gauges on your heads up display and see that the temperature is very comfortable inside the shell. The tree has made plenty of oxygen for you.
You remove your helmet and exit your suit and feel warm humid air in your lungs and on your bare skin. It gives you a shiver of pleasure.
Gaia walks between the massive buttress roots of the tree and finds a small pond. She kneels in the water and splashes some on her face and then drinks some from her cupped hands. She smiles gratefully at you.
The fish tattoo that tried to venture into the frozen pond leaps into this one and then swims about happily exploring. Seeing this, a million different organisms, tattooed on Gaia's skin or climbing in her hair, leap off of her and spread and multiply inside the giant tree's shell. The air is filled with the loamy smell of matter being recycled through the web of Life thriving. It is filled with the song of frogs and birds and the buzz of insects. Your vision is filled with the riotous colour of mosses, and mushrooms, and flowers and butterflies.
Gaia looks at you like a mother looking proudly at her daughter.
Leader: Please join me for seven minutes of silence while we contemplate ...
(Service Leader rings the bell)
(Service Leader rings the bell again at the end of the seven minutes)
Leader: Who would like to share?
The participants take turns talking about what they were thinking about during the contemplation.
Reading of the SolSeed Creed
Please respond to the portions of the Creed highlighted in bold in unison:
- Life is precious.
- It has always been precious,
- it will always be precious.
- Life exuberant
- bursting through boundaries
- to flower and spread
- creates the conditions for more Life,
- in an Upward Spiral
- of ever-growing possibilities.
- As you are alive, and I am alive,
- and in kinship with all other beings
- who call Terra home,
- we are Gaia --
- the body of all Life.
- Gaia's bursting through boundaries is a painful and joyful process.
- It is the pain of Earth giving rebirth to herself.
- It is the joy of a myriad new possibilities emerging.
- The Destiny of Gaia
- is to take root and flower amongst the stars --
- to give birth to a family of living worlds.
- As intelligent sparks of Gaia,
- we are called to express her excellent nature,
- we are called to attend the Rebirthing and the Great Birthing.
- We who answer this call
- dedicate ourselves to Gaia,
- We join together
- in a community of practice
- to align our words and actions
- with our highest aspirations.
- Through awesome experiences
- of cosmic, biological, and cultural creativity,
- we awaken within ourselves and others
- the Cosmic Religious Feeling
- that ignites wonder,
- fosters compassion, and
- inspires invention.
- Our three sacred duties are to
- embrace Passion,
- cultivate Empathy, and
- pursue Wisdom,
- So that our being honors Gaia
- and our striving hastens the Great Birthing.
- Passion drives us.
- Without Passion
- Empathy and Wisdom are lethargic.
- I pledge to stoke the fire in my belly,
- to compassionately care for my inner elephant ---
- to really be me, Happy in the Sun!
- Empathy is transcendent.
- Without Empathy,
- Passion and Wisdom are evil.
- I pledge to love others as I love myself,
- to consider their needs as if they were my own --
- to Grow Ours, not just Get Mine!
- Wisdom is effective.
- Without Wisdom,
- Passion and Empathy are reckless.
- I pledge to train my elephant through regular practice,
- to stand ready to transform my worldview in the face of new evidence --
- to cultivate sound instincts.
- Through Passion, Empathy, and Wisdom
- we have come to know that:
- We are Gaia's People --
- children of the Earth and Sun,
- awakened by starlight,
- discovering --
- We Bring Life!
Leader: We extinguish this flame, but not the light of truth, the warmth of community or the fires of commitment ... these we carry in our hearts until we are together again.
Leader extinguishes the candle with the Candle Snuff
Leader: May your week be blessed with life and love. Blessed be.