Eric's new draft version of the SolSeed Creed
We are SolSeed
- We are the Body of all Earthly Life
Our Four Holy Tools are
- Knowledge of the Past,
- Mindfulness of the Present,
- Hope-filled Visions of the Future and
- Practices that Increase our Skill with the other three
With these tools
- We create our lives
- Lives of understanding, love and hope
The past informs us.
- Without knowledge of the past,
- Mindfulness, vision and practice are misguided
I pledge to study the history of
- Life exuberant,
- Ever Bursting through boundaries to flower and spread,
- Ever Creating the conditions for more Life
- in an upward spiral of exponentiating possibilities
The present grounds us
- Without mindfulness of the present,
- Knowledge frightens us,
- our vision is one of despair,
- and our practices serve only to distract us.
I pledge to always be mindful of the fact
- That Life is precious
- That Life has always been and will always be
- in a state of being precious
The future inspires us
- Without visions of the future
- Knowledge, mindfulness and practice stagnate
- To express the excellent nature of Gaia
- To strive toward the Great Birthing
- In which SolSeed takes root and flowers among the stars and
- Gaia gives birth to a family of living worlds
Practice teaches us
- Without practice
- Knowledge and vision dim, and mindfulness escapes us
I pledge to answer Gaia's call
- To Dedicate myself to Life
- To join my kindred
- In a community of practice
- To align our words, thoughts, actions, habits, characters and very beings
- With our Highest Aspirations
I pledge to use art and the natural world
- To awaken in myself and others
- That Cosmic Religious Feeling
- That ignites wonder
- Fosters compassion
- And Inspires Invention
Our Three Sacred Duties are to
- Embrace Passion
- Cultivate Empathy and
- Pursue Wisdom
- Our Teaching Spreads Truth
- Our Loving Engenders Kindness and
- Our Striving Hastens the Great Birthing
Passion call and response unchanged, Empathy call unchanged
I pledge to carry in my heart
- the fact that as I am alive, you are alive,
- And in kinship will all other living beings
I pledge to love others as I love myself
- To treat their needs as if they were my own
- To Grow ours, Not just get mine.
Wisdom call unchanged
- To stand ready to throw out my beliefs
- In the face of new evidence
- To experiment with new practices
- Which engender mindfulness
- To explore new more hopefilled visions of the future
- Knowledge, Mindfulness, Vision and Practice and
- Passion, Empathy and Wisdom
We have come to know that...
Final response unchanged
Ben's new draft version
First call and response unchanged
- As you are alive, and I am alive,
- and in kinship with all other beings
- nourished by Sol,
- we are Gaia ---
- the Body of All Life.
Our technology has led us to feel separate from Gaia's web of life,
- Each of us trapped inside our conscious minds, yet masters of all we survey.
Living this story, we have done great harm to life,
- Yet we have also created a wondrous explosion of new possibilities.
As dedicants of Gaia's People (?), we are called to repay our debt to our shared body,
- By using our technological prowess to help her give birth to a family of living worlds.
- We who answer the call
- dedicate ourselves to Gaia.
- We join together
- in a network of practice
- to align our words and our actions
- with our highest aspirations.
- Through experiences of cosmic, biological, and cultural creativity,
- we awaken within ourselves and others
- the Cosmic Religious Feeling
- that ignites wonder,
- fosters compassion,
- and inspires invention.
- Our sacred duty is to
- embrace Passion,
- cultivate Empathy, and
- pursue Wisdom,
- So that our being honors Gaia
- and our striving hastens the Great Birthing.
- Passion drives us.
- Without Passion,
- Empathy and Wisdom are lethargic.
- I pledge to stoke the fires of my passion,
- To have empathy for the parts of myself whose desires sometimes lead to unwise choices,
- To use wisdom to channel my passion toward my highest aspirations.
- Empathy is transcendent.
- Without Empathy,
- Passion and Wisdom are evil.
- I pledge to cultivate empathy for all living beings,
- To grow my passion for helping others and working together,
- To wisely choose paths that create more possibilities for all.
- Wisdom is effective.
- Without Wisdom,
- Passion and Empathy are reckless.
- I pledge to constantly improve my wisdom,
- To passionately strive toward greater knowledge of the world and more skillful living,
- To let empathy drive me to share my wisdom with others.
- Through Passion, Empathy, and Wisdom
- we have come to know that:
- We are Gaia's People
- children of the Earth and Sun
- awakened by starlight
- We Bring Life!