March 17, 2009
Summary of the March 17, 2009 SolSeedCall
Mark, Ben, Bonnie, Stacey, Bob, Shelley, and Brandon were all on the March 17 call. After OpeningWords and checking in with each other about how we are doing, we spent the majority of the call discussing WhoAreKindred. Before the March 24, 2009 call we will do the following:
- Stacey will connect with Jason about opportunities and being on a call and report back via email;
- Ben will try to sort out pages on solseed.org generated by the two kindred groups;
- Shelley will email and call Kevin about Shoulder to Shoulder;
- Brenna will reserve the community center at Oceanside for July 3-6 for Sol2009 (or collect the available dates during July and August if it is not available July 3-6);
- Mark will find ClosingWords for the next call;
- Brandon will check in with Brenna about the Switzerland Org.
- Bonnie will also look for an organization for our first project.
- ALL: Think about what connects us all, do we want everybody? How do we support different people with different emphases?
We'd love to see you on the next call. It's fun and never goes for more than 1 hour.
- What connects us all?
- March 24 at 8:00pm (PST)
- Dial-in Number: 1-218-936-4700
- Participant Access Code: 815066
- Agenda and Notes: http://etherpad.com/AihOxUaXGO
March 17, 2009 @8pm PST
- Opening Words - 5 mins
- Check in - 10 mins
- Cross pollination with other "Intentional Societies" - 30 mins
- Logistics / What's next / homework / assign next call - 10 mins
- Closing Words - 5 mins (Mark)
Opening words - 5 mins
Check in - 10 mins
- Ben: work with Jessica
- No specific village ... can't even direct funds to specific region
- Working on creating a new fundraising capability on water.org that will permit funds to go to a specific region ... couple months out
- Should we look further and find a project we can have a more personal connection with?
- Kevin's wife is connected with Shoulder to Shoulder, a project in Honduras?
- New org in Switzerland doing work in Kenya?
- Stacey's friend (Jason Sellwood, Green Empowerment Portland) does green fundraising? or trip planning?
- Brenna: check availability at Oceanside for Sol 2009
- Ben and Brandon: look up Comic-Con and WorldCon table-getting info
- Brandon: Don't want to stack the group with sci-fi people
Cross pollination with other "Intentional Societies" - 30 mins
Saturday morning conference calls
- Art and Mickey in Denver: looking to start something similar to SolSeed, but not with similar ultimate aims
- Lion in Seattle: in process of developing a group called Spiriata
2010 get-together being planned with kindred groups
- What sort of groups are we looking for?
- Stacey ... forum for intentional community ... I like the Open Space format ... open to lots of topics and lots of different people (community binds it together)
- Boni ... I'd like to think about it
- Shelley ... not in many groups
- In what way would a book club be kindred?
- Interested in topic ... maybe learning things to share with us
- Ben ... advocacy groups ... not intentional societies but share some similarities
- Stacey ... unclear about what you want to attract ... definition of "kindred?"
- Brandon: groups that "exonerate or appreciate the differences of others" and aren't trying to convert everyone else
- Stacey : is kindred as characteristics, or is it a way of being? open to everyone?
- Shelley ... invite Unitarians
- Share something
- Possibility and Life ... "Groups that radiate life"
- What group doesn't?
- Probably not AboutUs
- Groups that "exonerate or appreciate the differences of others" and aren't trying to convert everyone else
- Improve people's lives
- Improve the planet
- Potentially traveling to other worlds
- Bob the predetator: I think the starships should be built using green technology
- Ideas that contribute to the previous three (philosophy, religion, etc)
- Living together in community (touching all aspects of life)
- Possibility and Life ... "Groups that radiate life"
- Don't need to embrace all three
- Stacey thinks book club meets with criteria for kindred spirits. I don't see the criteria as specific enough to define what the group wants to attract.
- Groups that would consider us kindred (appreciate our kookiness) ... do we think they are worthy of having the spirit of discernment
- Stacey sees possibility and life as all-inclusive.
- Local or global group?
- Trending toward living together ... is that an intention or a long term goal?
Logistics / What's next / homework / assign next call - 10 mins
Agenda for next time
- Report on our short term project homework
- More about what the group is: Intention, Goals, What people want from the group, What connects us all?
- Do we want everybody? How do we make it safe for the people who do want to join?
- Bob: well, who do you not want?
- Make sure different people with different emphases all feel supported
- Everyone will work on it and Stacey will facilitate
- Brandon: will check in with Brenna about the Switzerland Org
- Shelley: will email and call Kevin about Shoulder to Shoulder
- Stacey: will connect with Jason and report back via email
- Boni: will look for an organization
- Ben: will try to sort out pages on solseed.org generated by the two kindred groups
Closing Words - 5 mins (Mark)
The Guest House
This being human is a guest house. Every morning a new arrival.
A joy, a depression, a meanness, some momentary awareness comes as an unexpected visitor.
Welcome and entertain them all! Even if they are a crowd of sorrows, who violently sweep your house empty of its furniture, still, treat each guest honorably. He may be clearing you out for some new delight.
The dark thought, the shame, the malice. meet them at the door laughing and invite them in.
Be grateful for whatever comes. because each has been sent as a guide from beyond.
-- Jelaluddin Rumi, translation by Coleman Barks
May the road rise up to meet you. May the wind be always at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face; the rains fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again, may God hold you in the palm of His hand.
May the saddest day of your future be no worse than the happiest day of your past. -- Traditional Irish Blessing
Candidates for Call Times
8 pm is best time for Brenna b/c kids to bed.
- M evening (Shelley and Brandon have grief group 2 wks/month; Brenna sometimes works Monday night)
- T evening (Brandon has Go night ... could skip)
- W evening (Brenna works)
- H evening (Brenna works)
- F evening (Shelley and Brandon have sabbath++)