Elon Reeve Musk (born June 28, 1971) is a business magnate, industrial designer, engineer, and philanthropist. He is the founder, CEO, CTO and chief designer of SpaceX; early investor, CEO and product architect of Tesla, Inc.; founder of The Boring Company; co-founder of Neuralink; and co-founder and initial co-chairman of OpenAI. He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in 2018. In 2018, he was ranked 25th on the Forbes list of The World's Most Powerful People, and was ranked joint-first on the Forbes list of the Most Innovative Leaders of 2019. As of September 2, 2020, his net worth was estimated by Forbes to be US$93.3 billion, making him the 5th richest person in the world. He is also the longest tenured CEO of any automotive manufacturer globally.
At the online 2020 Festival of Saints, the Council of the Stewards of Solseed unanimously elevated Elon Musk to Servant of Gaia.
In his sponsorship justification for her elevation Eric noted the following:
- He is super-passionate about protecting life from existential threats. He has built four companies, three of which are designed to protect us from existential threats.
- SpaceX protects us from anything that threatens Terra by establishing self-sufficient colonies elsewhere. But Elon says that's a terrible reason; the real reason is that a future where life is spreading amongst the stars is better than one where we stay here on Earth until Gaia dies.
- Tesla was founded to help us switch to a sustainable energy system. Elon is also the driving force behind SolarCity, which is now a subsidiary of Tesla, and has innovated ways to make solar roofs cheaper. The battery packs they make are key to balancing a grid powered by renewable energy.
- Neuralink was founded to give us more time to deal with the AI threat.
- The Boring Company could be used to enable more wilderness within cities, and the Hyperloop could enable surface roads to be removed from rural wilderness areas, creating huge benefits for biodiversity.
- It could also help create underground habitats on the Moon and Mars to protect people from radiation.
- He pushes himself and the people around him very hard to work on these missions.
- The nuggets of wisdom he's developed from this work enables him to identify roadblocks other people haven't seen and find ways to overcome them.