April 11, 2010: Online Work Bee
- Norwescon scuttlebutt
- Earth Day
- Plans for Earth Day vs a service
- April newsletter
- 9 new email list members, 1 new member of the wiki
- Should have talked to the Mars Society people more
- Ben talked to Cory Doctorow and Richard Lovett, and was vocal in a panel where Vernor Vinge and other big SF writers were panelists
- Shelley gave a copy of Parable of the Sower to Heather (I promised never to use her last name online, which reminds me I need to go delete it off the SolSeed Services page. Heather who spoke of Balance at our last Service)
- They want interactive booths
- We could use learnings from NorWesCon
- Galaxy-shaped dirt tray for visitors to plant seeds in
- KatieV has a recycling robot that we could maybe borrow
- Goals for Earth Day (expecting about 3000 people to come through between 10am and 7pm)
- 5 people talked to meaningfully per hour
- Get Mark involved
- Involve folks who are resonant with the eco-village concept and have already been part of our community (Buckman)
- Pick a project that would inspire normal Earth Day celebrators ... that SolSeed could do as a gesture of goodwill and build some momentum among its members and friends without requiring any commitment for the future
- Trash pickup?
- All of us are pledging to reduce our carbon footprint by so much
- Learning to live with less water
- Petition stating "Possibility is alive in South East Portland: I'm on the side of greater possibility" ... vague but easy ...
Art project strategy
- Bringing life, a vague idea that connects to the spirit of Earth Day
- For SolSeed, Bringing life means some particular things (eco-village, going to space, etc)
- What we're asking people to do is not to necessarily join our group, but to identify themselves as kindred
- by stating what possibilities they want to nurture, or drawing a picture of it on a small piece of a big blank poster
- by making a mental switch to saying "Who I am is somebody who is open to possibilities that bring life." This is the first step to having people be interested in SolSeed.
- People could get stickers or hand stamps saying "I bring life!"
- Get Stacey and Kevin to do the whole thing?
Galaxy planting strategy
- Center is an oval pot already planted with white or yellow flowers
- Arms are curved pipes cut in half, empty to start with
- People put a scoop of dirt in an empty spot and then plant a seed
- Bachelor's buttons (small blue flowers)
- Send response to Disney ... by Tuesday
- Print out eco-village visualizations on nice glossy paper ... by next meeting
- Print 200 more trifolds (wording slightly revised to include more events than just conventions) ... by next meeting
- Finish April newsletter ... by next meeting
- Speak with Mark about the eco-village on April 24 10 am to 7 pm; and have him get involved in the pl the planning, since it's his project.
- Pick a date for dinner with Stacey
- Speak with Stacey about the mural
- Go to Portland Nursery and get lettuce and dirt and a pretty pot with flowers for the center ... by Monday
- Get a board for the spiral galaxy lettuce planting ... by Tuesday
- Get a board for the Bring Life mural to be drawn on
- Talk to Kevin about the mural