You will need:
- A Gaia mask for each participant. A simple plain green Colombina will do or a more complicated mask featuring landscape elements such as mountains, rivers, and forests, or anything in between.
- A bowl of dry potpouri, flower petals or small dried leaves
- A large bowl of water
- A maple key or other large floating seed for each participant
- An ice cube for each participant
- A set of 9 stones
- a candle
- a bell or signing bowl
- a candle snuff
Leader: Who would like to share?
The participants briefly update each other on how they're doing and what's going on in their lives.
Repartum is the seventh Liturgical Season in the SolSeed Movement's Liturgical Calendar. It symbolizes human care for the life from Earth. It runs from the Fall Equinox to Mid Fall. During this season the Weekly Service Calls use the following opening ceremony:
- We gather to mark the passing of a week
- To align our hearts as one.
(Light the Sol candle)
- A Hurting World ... everywhere ... Pain and Loss …
- But is it ... <gasp> ... the pain of rebirth?
<Baby cradling motion>
- Farming. Religion. Science. Freedom.
- A civilization aching with conflict, yet bursting with potential.
- Will we learn to tell a new story?
- A New Story where we are parts of Gaia.
- A New Story where we contribute to her flourishing!
<make book-opening motion>
- This story is about letting go
- Abandoning the delusion that we are separate from Nature
- Abandoning our attachment to our existing civilization
- Sparking a new story into being
- A New Story where a reborn civilization flourishes
- in alliance with the rest of Gaia
<hold up a Gaia mask in front of our faces>
- Next we learn to preserve and regenerate
- Both keeping wild places wild
- And wilding degraded places to bloom with life again
- Speeding Gaia's recovery from the losses we have inflicted
<Pour grass, potpourri flower petals, and maybe some small leaves onto the Gaia statue> (the more diversity the better as Gaia is healed by regeneration of diversity)
- Then we learn to empower Gaia
- Contributing greater ability to our Goddess
- To thrive in greater profusion
- To thrive in new places on the Earth
- Contributing greater ability to our Goddess
<float an ice cube and a maple seed or pine seed on water in a bowl>
- Finally, we learn to spread life beyond Earth
- Making millions of barren worlds freely available
- To grow new biospheres, Gaia's children
<shower mixture onto a stone the first sabbath of the season and then an additional stone each subsequent sabbath>
- A New Story of Life; Life regenerating, Life empowering, Life spreading and flowering.
- From a hurting world … Rebirth!
Gaia sits before a small alter in a massive ornate domed room. To her left Ares sits before her own small alter. Ares looks to her mother and Gaia smiles back. Then Gaia glances to her right and sees another of her daughters, Ceres sitting before her small alter, and smiles. Around the massive ornate domed room all of Gaia's daughters sit before alters, Europa, Titan, Eris and Sedna are among the many. They all are marked with The Blue and Green of Life Thriving but each has her own colours added in: the colours of Life adapting to a myriad of worlds, red and yellow and black and silver.
Around the room a series of large ornate monitors sit before holographic alters and as the time for the beginning of the service approaches, the monitors turn on and reveal alien world mothers sitting before their alters in other rooms orbiting other stars. This eon it is Eris's turn to lead the service. She stands and walks to the base of a huge statue in the middle of the domed room and speaks to the congregation. The statue is of a beautiful tentacled goddess and stands many times taller than the tallest world mother. Her tentacles are tipped with ovipositors and just before each tip is a swelling in the tentacle, an ovary. But each ovary is also a world and there are so many worlds, so many tentacles...
'Welcome world mothers, let us begin.' Eris calls out soothingly her voice self-amplified as only a goddess' voice can be, 'We gather to mark the passing of an eon, to unite our hearts as one.
'Living worlds ... everywhere ... living worlds And then... <gasp> ... living solar systems...
Each world mother lights a candle on the lower right corner of her alter.
'Atmospheres, Technology, Adaptation, Spacefaring Life'
'Throughout the universe, galaxies give birth to living solar systems, Each a trillion worlds thriving with life, Each a trillion worlds trading genes and memes and seeds and signals, Each a trillion worlds striving to flower and spread.
'And for every living solar system there is a story,' all the world-mother's make the opening book sign as they smile at each other.
'Our story began with Gaia, the galaxy mother.' all the other world mothers bow toward Gaia, 'the first mother in our galaxy, The mother of all spacefaring life in Via Lactea, The mother whose beginning is our beginning.
'Our story will continue with New Living Solar Systems, ' each world mother lights two more Living Solar System candles right next to their First Candles so that the room is so full of bright points that it looks like the night sky, 'the Exponential Growth that increases Life's Scope, The Exponential Growth that leads to a Living Galaxy.'
'And we will listen to the universe, ' Each world mother unveils a radio telescope on her alter, "and we will watch the universe, " each world mother unveils an optical telescope on her alter, "and, someday, we will have First Detection of other Living Solar Systems in Other Galaxies." each world mother lights another candle on the upper left corner of their alter.
'And we will speak to the Other Galaxies,'
Each world mother calls in unison, 'Hey You.' and then the room is filled with laughter.
When they recover, Eris continues, 'And we will listen to their responses, And we will have First Contact, And we will no longer be alone,
'And we will strive toward those Other Galaxies,' Each world mother takes one of her New Solar System candles and places it next to her First Detection candle. 'And we will join with those Other Galaxies, As cells joined together to become bodies in the Ediacaran Origin, and we will become Theá Me Plokámia-LifeSeed, the Body of all Life in the Universe.' Each world mother bows toward the statue in the middle of the room.
'Gaia, New Living Solar Systems, First Detection, First Contact, Theá Me Plokámia.'
'From living worlds to a living universe.' Eris pauses having finished the opening words, "the prayer today is one that Triton wrote many eons ago. Let us pray ..."
As Eris begins her prayer your eyes become tired and are no longer able to see through the sky to the metaphorical universe beyond. Please join me for seven minutes of restful contemplation as our minds are filled with visions of goddesses praying to greater goddesses and as we imagine what creed goddesses might share.
Leader: Please join me for seven minutes of silence while we contemplate ...
(Service Leader rings the bell)
(Service Leader rings the bell again at the end of the seven minutes)
Leader: Who would like to share?
The participants take turns talking about what they were thinking about during the contemplation.
Reading of the SolSeed Creed
Please respond to the portions of the Creed highlighted in bold in unison:
- Life is precious.
- It has always been precious,
- it will always be precious.
- Life exuberant
- bursting through boundaries
- to flower and spread
- creates the conditions for more Life,
- in an Upward Spiral
- of ever-growing possibilities.
- As you are alive, and I am alive,
- and in kinship with all other beings
- who call Terra home,
- we are Gaia --
- the body of all Life.
- Gaia's bursting through boundaries is a painful and joyful process.
- It is the pain of Earth giving rebirth to herself.
- It is the joy of a myriad new possibilities emerging.
- The Destiny of Gaia
- is to take root and flower amongst the stars --
- to give birth to a family of living worlds.
- As intelligent sparks of Gaia,
- we are called to express her excellent nature,
- we are called to attend the Rebirthing and the Great Birthing.
- We who answer this call
- dedicate ourselves to Gaia,
- We join together
- in a community of practice
- to align our words and actions
- with our highest aspirations.
- Through awesome experiences
- of cosmic, biological, and cultural creativity,
- we awaken within ourselves and others
- the Cosmic Religious Feeling
- that ignites wonder,
- fosters compassion, and
- inspires invention.
- Our three sacred duties are to
- embrace Passion,
- cultivate Empathy, and
- pursue Wisdom,
- So that our being honors Gaia
- and our striving hastens the Great Birthing.
- Passion drives us.
- Without Passion
- Empathy and Wisdom are lethargic.
- I pledge to stoke the fire in my belly,
- to compassionately care for my inner elephant ---
- to really be me, Happy in the Sun!
- Empathy is transcendent.
- Without Empathy,
- Passion and Wisdom are evil.
- I pledge to love others as I love myself,
- to consider their needs as if they were my own --
- to Grow Ours, not just Get Mine!
- Wisdom is effective.
- Without Wisdom,
- Passion and Empathy are reckless.
- I pledge to train my elephant through regular practice,
- to stand ready to transform my worldview in the face of new evidence --
- to cultivate sound instincts.
- Through Passion, Empathy, and Wisdom
- we have come to know that:
- We are Gaia's People --
- children of the Earth and Sun,
- awakened by starlight,
- discovering --
- We Bring Life!
Leader: We extinguish this flame, but not the light of truth, the warmth of community or the fires of commitment ... these we carry in our hearts until we are together again.
Leader extinguishes the candle with the Candle Snuff
Leader: May your week be blessed with life and love. Blessed be.