You will need:
- 3 seeds per participant
- dish filled with soil
- complex mechanism which can be actuated such as a gear box (perhaps made of Lego)
- two beakers (one half filled with water)
- a candle
- a bell or signing bowl
- a candle snuff
Leader: Who would like to share?
The participants briefly update each other on how they're doing and what's going on in their lives.
- We gather to mark the passing of a week
- To align our hearts as one.
(Light the Sol Candle)
- Wilderness ... still ... wilderness ...
- And then ... <gasp> ... civilization!
- People. Warm-blooded. Social. Tool-users. Talking.
- Nations coalesce.
- In the fertile lands, cities are born.
- And for every city ... there is a story!
(Open book sign)
- Cities grew out of farming, the first massive division of labour
(plant 3 seeds in a straight row in a dish of soil)
- Making Scientists and Priests possible
- Allowing Artisans to evolve into Industry
- Cities were fertilized by religion,
- Beliefs that bind bands into cities
- Beliefs that infuse cities with community
(ASL sign for belief but modified:  instead of clasping your own hand at the end of the sign, clasp those of the people next to you (or reach toward the screen to 'clasp' those in other locations on Skype)
- Then came science!
(Pour water from one beaker to another)
- The practice of seeking truth through experience.
- The upward spiral of knowledge
(The ASL sign for knowledge: right hand open, fingers together palm down, tab above right brow twice  Then sweep the hand through an upward spiral until arm is extended directly up.)
- Finally, democracy emerged!
(Ballot stuffing motion as in ASL for VOTE: )
- Making striving for their self-chosen destinies,
- Freely available to all living citizens.
(ASL for Freedom like in Spirit of Life)
- Farming. Religion. Science. Freedom.
- From Wilderness ... Civilization!
You are riding your Elephant through a huge hospital. It is very quiet and cold. There seems to be no one in the corridors except you. You glance into a ward and see that in each bed there is an irregular broken piece of dirty ice. Each looks like they have been hammered repeatedly. You wonder if this is a hospital for injured ice sculptures. You look into another ward; more broken pieces of dirty ice. Nothing is moving. There are no machines beeping or pumping. No one is doing anything for these pieces of ice. They are just resting each on its own bed in the freezing cold, still hospital.
You continue down the corridor. In each ward, more pieces of ice, all broken, hammered and dirty. It contrasts so much with the clean perfection of the hospital itself. You find a stairwell; you descend one floor and continue exploring. This floor is warmer. Now each bed in each ward contains a broken hammered piece of rock. Ward after ward, corridor after corridor, there is no one in sight. Just clean perfect hospital corridors and beds containing rocks.
You find another stairwell and descend two floors to the bottom of the stairwell and continue to explore. Another clean perfect hospital corridor. But it is unbearably hot and the lights are too bright. Shielding your eyes you glance into a ward. Each bed contains an array of strange force field emitters. The array in each bed has created a container made entirely of force field. Within each a boiling swirling cloud of lava and hot gases is churning. It is the first movement you have seen in all of your explorations. But you find you are about to pass out. The heat and light are too much. You notice an elevator. The door is open. You stumble in and press the up button and then collapse onto the floor of the elevator. Exhausted from your exposure to the heat.
You feel the elevator accelerate upward with far more force than you expect. A display shows the floors counting by. It started at negative one and passed through zero and now is counting up through positive numbers. Strangely the display is not labelled floor but instead it is raised between the number 10 and the letters AU. It is now getting very cold in the elevator so you press the button labelled "Stop at next floor", the doors open and you step out onto floor 8.
It is very cold here and the lights are very dim. But as your eyes adjust you see that you are in another clean perfect hospital corridor. The wards are also dim and cold. It takes a while for your eyes to adjust but eventually you can see that each bed contains a large glass box. Each box contains a cloud of dust and most are glowing dimly, red or blue. Your eyes pick out familiar shapes in the clouds as they would when lying on your back in a park watching clouds in the sky. A bird, a fish, a dog, a map of North America. As you watch each cloud it slowly changes and the shape you saw at first dissolves replaced by another.
Yet still. There is no one around. The rooms are quiet and the cold is beginning to bother you. You return to the elevator. Thinking back you realize that you started on floor Two and it was cold, you explored floor one and it was warmer but not warm enough, explored the basement and found it too hot, went to the eighth floor and found it way too cold. It seems that this building gets colder as you go up. So the best chance to find a comfortable floor is to go to floor zero, between the hot basement and the cold but tolerable floor One.
You tap the down button and watch the floors count down feeling the elevator warm up. After you pass floor One you tap the "Stop at next floor" button and get off on floor Zero. As you hoped, the temperature is perfect here. But there is still no one around. You wander the corridors looking into the wards. More beds with hammered broken rocks in them.
You find the radiology department. You pause, hesitating. Is it safe to go into the radiology department of an abandoned hospital?
Then you see Terra, wearing Gaia, walk by in a cross corridor inside the radiology department. You run to follow her glad to see someone in the stark empty place. You turn into the cross corridor just in time to see here enter a lab. You run to the lab and see that it is labelled "Ultra sound". Without thinking you follow her into the lab.
She is already lying on a bed. A nurse is readying to apply the ultrasound wand to her large pregnant belly. There is a second bed containing a large red ball of hammered rock.
The nurse sees you and looks stern but Gaia smiles and beckons you to come closer and look at the ultrasound monitor. On the screen, you see blocky cells with smaller cells zipping between them (blood cells and arteries? you wonder). The nurse adjusts the ultrasound to reduce magnification and you see that the blocky cells form a colony and that it is connected to other colonies and that the flow of smaller cells is running back and forth between the colonies on large arteries (They are like cars and trucks racing between cities? you think). The nurse adjusts the ultrasound again, and you see that the small fast moving cells come in different sizes. Some of the larger ones seem to be constructing new large arteries between colonies. Two such new arteries cross and quickly the large blocky cells start to form around the intersection of the arteries. (bacterial colonies giving birth to new colonies? you puzzle)
Gaia moans. The nurse looks at her watch. Gaia moans again a few minutes later and the nurse notes the time between moans on her chart and then returns to the ultrasound. Now you can see that the larger fast moving cells are actually building the larger blocky cells. On the screen they are busily building a set of particularly large blocky cells and particularly wide short arteries around them. Gaia moans again and the nurse notes the time. From one of the new particularly large blocky cells, a large rounded oblong cell emerges. It is so oblong that it seems almost rod like. (A fruiting body? you consider the implications) It travels slowly along one of the wide short arteries and then there is a flash of light on the ultrasound monitor and the oblong cell is now floating in a dark featureless background.
Gaia moans again. The moans are coming closer together. On the ultrasound screen the oblong cell is joined by others and together they build a small colony floating in the darkness. The colony seems to be made of little ball-like cells joined together at odd angles. The oblong cells add wings to the colony and organize the little ball-cells, adding more as they go until the little colony looks like a strange rotating insect. (You consider how much like an insect the Freedom Space Station looks.) Gaia moans very loudly and there is another flash of light on the ultrasound monitor.
But after the flash nothing seems to have changed. The insect-like cell colony is as before. Gaia seems content as she watches the nurse. Then you realize that the nurse is holding the ultrasound wand over her head, no longer pointing it at Gaia's belly. The nurse slowly walks across the room to the other bed and the large round hammered red rock. It seems the little insect-like colony of cells has made its way across the room for you can still see it on the ultrasound monitor.
As you watch, the nurse slowly brings the ultrasound wand to the surface of the red rock. On the monitor you see the insect-like colony land on the rock. The nurse steps back and turns off the ultrasound. The red rock turns blue and green and reshapes itself into a little girl. The little girl looks a lot like Gaia and Gaia seems delighted to see her. The little girl sits up in bed and looks at her mother and you can almost feel the love passing between them.
Leader: Please join me for seven minutes of silence while we contemplate ...
(Service Leader rings the bell)
(Service Leader rings the bell again at the end of the seven minutes)
Leader: Who would like to share?
The participants take turns talking about what they were thinking about during the contemplation.
Reading of the SolSeed Creed
Please respond to the portions of the Creed highlighted in bold in unison:
- Life is precious.
- It has always been precious,
- it will always be precious.
- Life exuberant
- bursting through boundaries
- to flower and spread
- creates the conditions for more Life,
- in an Upward Spiral
- of ever-growing possibilities.
- As you are alive, and I am alive,
- and in kinship with all other beings
- who call Terra home,
- we are Gaia --
- the body of all Life.
- Gaia's bursting through boundaries is a painful and joyful process.
- It is the pain of Earth giving rebirth to herself.
- It is the joy of a myriad new possibilities emerging.
- The Destiny of Gaia
- is to take root and flower amongst the stars --
- to give birth to a family of living worlds.
- As intelligent sparks of Gaia,
- we are called to express her excellent nature,
- we are called to attend the Rebirthing and the Great Birthing.
- We who answer this call
- dedicate ourselves to Gaia,
- We join together
- in a community of practice
- to align our words and actions
- with our highest aspirations.
- Through awesome experiences
- of cosmic, biological, and cultural creativity,
- we awaken within ourselves and others
- the Cosmic Religious Feeling
- that ignites wonder,
- fosters compassion, and
- inspires invention.
- Our three sacred duties are to
- embrace Passion,
- cultivate Empathy, and
- pursue Wisdom,
- So that our being honors Gaia
- and our striving hastens the Great Birthing.
- Passion drives us.
- Without Passion
- Empathy and Wisdom are lethargic.
- I pledge to stoke the fire in my belly,
- to compassionately care for my inner elephant ---
- to really be me, Happy in the Sun!
- Empathy is transcendent.
- Without Empathy,
- Passion and Wisdom are evil.
- I pledge to love others as I love myself,
- to consider their needs as if they were my own --
- to Grow Ours, not just Get Mine!
- Wisdom is effective.
- Without Wisdom,
- Passion and Empathy are reckless.
- I pledge to train my elephant through regular practice,
- to stand ready to transform my worldview in the face of new evidence --
- to cultivate sound instincts.
- Through Passion, Empathy, and Wisdom
- we have come to know that:
- We are Gaia's People --
- children of the Earth and Sun,
- awakened by starlight,
- discovering --
- We Bring Life!
Leader: We extinguish this flame, but not the light of truth, the warmth of community or the fires of commitment ... these we carry in our hearts until we are together again.
Leader extinguishes the candle with the Candle Snuff
Leader: May your week be blessed with life and love. Blessed be.